The Three E’s Most Gyms Are Missing

At my gym we pride ourselves on a number of things that define us as being different from the competitors. While there are a range of different training styles, equipment and programmes when it comes to defining if a gym sinks or swims it can come down to three objective factors

1. Environment. Creating a “feel” is quite an objective thing to measure but one of the things at Results FAST that we are pleased with is the culture that has been defined by our membership. In the New Year 95% of our training membership trained more than once a week. This statistic would close most commercial facilities. Creating a culture and environment of commitment focused around achieving great things is not just for those who believe they are the nations next great Olympian. It can be something as simply as a pain free shoulder or maintaining a sensible nutrition plan for a week. All of these things feed in to what defines a great culture that our staff and members sign up to.

2. Expertise. The barrier to entrance in the fitness industry around the world is quite low compared to other trades. It means that it can be quite easy to “get certified” and call yourself a personal trainer.  80% of newly qualified trainers leave the industry inside 1 year but of the remaining 20% most will remain on a similar wage to the person who cleans the gym. With most gyms they will hire at the cheapest level to do the job (I mean what business wants to over pay their employees!). This is not going to attract expertise- give me one great, hard working trainer over three cheap trainers and i’ll show you the difference in expertise and the value it will provide. The definition of expertise in practice though may not necessarily mean book taught. Expertise can be through experience and time training people however your own education is a fluid process and if it stops so does your development. Never has there been more information available to people but still people don’t know what is a healthy diet.

3. Excellence. This supports the previous points. If you have a great gym culture environment of commitment to success and accountability for your own actions in line with focused training programmes which work you have made a dedication to the process of excellence.

All summed up- if you are going to do something, do it well and and at the best of your abilities.

Published by ianmellis

Ian Mellis MSc. CSCS is the co-founder of Results FAST ( in Ware, Hertfordshire. Specialising in athletic development, physique improvement and injury rehabilitation he provides personal training, strength and conditioning and nutrition coaching for motivated exercisers and those looking to make a long term change to their health, fitness and performance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: